From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-22 12:13:18

From: "Carl Daniel" <cpdaniel_at_[hidden]>
[...]
> IMO, information like that which Rogue Wave encoded in their C, W, G and T
> fields is still useful and could avoid
> unpleasant incompatibilities when (not if) people dump Boost DLLs into
> Windows/System32.

Isn't System File Protection supposed to prevent this?

> I will confess to have not attempted a Boost build with any system, but I
was a
> bit surprised from the original post
> that started this thread: I wouldn't expect (or want) Boost::Regexp to
produce
> ANY DLLs at all. I hope that the build
> process can produce static libs in addition/instead of DLLs for all of
Boost.

I, too, prefer static libs, but in some cases - boost.threads comes to
mind - DLLs are necessary. Note that I'm not only referring to
threadmon.dll; the whole threads library needs to be in a DLL if you have an
application and a DLL that both use boost.threads.

--
Peter Dimov
Multi Media Ltd.