From: Stephen Crocker (melkior13_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-22 16:05:34

> > Does anyone know if the library has been ported to
> > MacOS native threads? not just MacOSX but earlier
> > MacOS versions? (eg 8,9)
> > I've been pulling my hair out trying to find a truly cross-platform
> > simple threading library that is ported to MacOS aswell as
>Unix/Win32.
>
>No, there's no MacOS native thread support.
<SNIP>

I could easily envision a MacOSX version. MacOSX uses Posix threads so it
hopefully wouldn't be very much different than a unix/linux version.

However, I doubt that an MacOS9 version would be done. Reconciling the
preemptive threading model found on other OSes with the MacOS9 Cooperative
threading model is very difficult. Working at a company that has had to do
just that I can tell you it is very much context sensitive and filled with
compromises. It's unlikely to be able to make a generic enough of a design
to satisfy everyone.

I actually wished this cross platform threading library was ready earlier as
we have had to roll our own for OSX/Win32.

Steve Crocker