From: Paul A. Bristow (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-24 17:05:54

Is the constructor constant REQUIRED?

Ed Brey pointed out:

"The reason is that it appears that those in tst.cpp lead to code bloat,
since I noticed that even unused constants ended up in the assembly listing
for a test program, and I doubted that the linker would always be able to
remove them, especially if creating a dynamicly linked library on platforms
where classes are not individually targeted for export."

So I removed the statement "constant() {}".

Is this what EDG in strict mode requires? If so have you any idea why?

Is order of typename Rep, typename Tag important?
(The original was changed to allow provision of a default - unnecessary, and
indeed undesirable, IMO).
Or is removal of the default typename Rep = double > the key requirement.
Have you any idea why?

Or is the some other difference that I have missed?

Paul

PS Your code also compiles OK with MSVC 6 WITHOUT the constant(){} null
constructor.