From: Markus Schoepflin (markus.schoepflin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-25 11:54:18

--- In boost_at_y..., "David Abrahams" <david.abrahams_at_r...> wrote:

[snip]

> Though I don't feel it's a primary design goal of the build system,
I'd be
> happy to try to accomodate the needs of such people, but I don't
know what,
> exactly, to do. I've outlined the main problems that need to be
solved, but
> none of the people who have agitated for this change have proposed
anything
> which addresses the issues.

I think the current scheme (incompatible libs go to different
directories) is quite ok. But the thing is, you end up with horrible
long command lines and this makes it sometimes impossible to use
because of command line length limitations.

As for the integration into MSVC (as the IDE I'm familiar with), the
biggest issues as far as I can see them are:

1. Suport for command files to overcome the command line length
limitation. (Not really an IDE but more a windows issue.)

2. Support for code browser databases, like BSC files in MSVC.

3. Support for precompiled headers.

As a final note, I think the build system is an impressive piece of
work so far and I seriously consider using it for our automated
builds if number one in the list above is solved.

Markus