From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-26 11:48:53

----- Original Message -----
From: "Darin Adler" <darin_at_[hidden]>

> on 10/26/01 7:55 AM, David Abrahams at david.abrahams_at_[hidden] wrote:
>
> > This demonstrates why using a little bit of name mangling in #include
guards
> > is a good idea. I use my initials and the date, which surely would have
> > prevented this problem if either author had done it.
>
> While I agree that your discipline would have prevented this, the cause of
> the problem is that when someone renamed the file from array.hpp to
> array_traits.hpp they didn't change the contents of the file. So the
comment
> at the top still said array.hpp, and so did these define statements.

I disagree with your analysis of the cause. With my discipline, there's no
need to change the contents of the file when it is renamed. Also, since we
have multiple subdirectories, it's entirely conceivable that this could have
happened in separate directories where two files may have the same name.

  David Abrahams, C++ library designer for hire
 resume: http://users.rcn.com/abrahams/resume.html

        C++ Booster (http://www.boost.org)
          email: david.abrahams_at_[hidden]