From: Kevin S. Van Horn (kevin.vanhorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-26 17:50:06

My preference for logical errors (ones that the programmer could
reasonably have avoided) is usually for the program to abort and dump
core. This allows me to go in with a debugger and see what the state of
the program was when the error occurred. If you throw an exception the
stack unwinds, and you lose lots of important debug information. I
realize that the abort behavior is unacceptable for some industrial
environments, so let me suggest that there be a preprocessor symbol one
can set to choose whether violated preconditions (that the implementor
chooses to check) cause an exception or just abort and dump core.