From: Jeremy Siek (jsiek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-01 20:11:34

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, David Abrahams wrote:
david.> > But this is horrible... how can I portably specify the path? It may differ
david.> > from machine to machine.
david.>
david.> Hi Jeremy,
david.>
david.> It's not that bad; it's just an issue that needs addressing, and it should
david.> be easy enough to fix ;-)
david.>
david.> My problem so far is that I don't have a clear picture of what people
david.> want/need to do with prebuilt libraries in a cross-platform build system.
david.> Let's discuss it. Once I understand it, getting you what you want should be
david.> trivial.
david.>
david.> Are you trying to link to a library like libxxx.a? If so, I guess that the
david.> system will look in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and we need to somehow get -lxxx
david.> onto the command-line.

Righto.

david.> What is the analogue for non-unix systems? My impression is that only unix
david.> does the lib + name + .a trick. Is there any point in worrying about the
david.> non-uniformity? Perhaps the libraries are always named differently on
david.> different platforms anyway?

I guess by "portably" I meant all unix systems :) I haven't a clue as to
how to make that kind of thing work for windows :(

BTW, jam doesn't necessarily have to do all the work. I don't mind
specifying different things on different platforms, as long as there's a
way to do it.

Cheers,
Jeremy

 Jeremy Siek http://php.indiana.edu/~jsiek/
 Ph.D. Student, Indiana Univ. B'ton email: jsiek_at_[hidden]
 C++ Booster (http://www.boost.org) office phone: (812) 855-3608