From: Steve Anichini (sanichin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-10 13:42:54

From http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q140/5/84.asp

"A reusable library and all of its users should use the same CRT library
types and therefore the same compiler switch. The macros defined (or not
defined) for each of the compiler switches can be used in the header file(s)
of your reusable library to enforce the proper compiler switch. The sample
code in this article demonstrates how to use these macros.

If you would like users of the library to be able to choose static or DLL
CRT, you should provide both static and DLL reusable library types."

Also read http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q190/7/99.ASP

Notice that using the DLL runtime will not solve the "passing a FILE handle
across DLL/EXE boundaries" problem in all cases. If someone's app is using
the static CRT and your DLL is using the DLL crt, things will still bomb
passing CRT objects across the DLL/EXE boundary.

The solution is to not cross CRT stuff across the DLL/EXE boundary. The
general rules of thumb for passing dynamically allocated stuff from/to DLLs:
        1) Something allocated on the EXE side must be freed on the EXE side and
the same for on the DLL side
        2) You can pass objects safely with VC6 if they define a virtual
destructor. The compiler will generate the correct call of delete using the
correct run-time library.
        3) You can also pass objects by overloading new and delete for the object
if its defined in the DLL - the DLL runtime will be used.

Basically making your DLL designs dependent on forcing everyone to use the
DLL version of the runtime is a potentially dangerous decision that will
just cause more grief than it will solve.

My main points:
        1) there is no One Right Answer for choice of runtime used in
applications - be it static or DLL.
        2) therefore boost libraries should strive to be designed in such a way to
support usage with both runtime types.
        3) I see nothing in your threadmon.cpp code that requires the multithreaded
DLL version. You are not passing CRT stuff or any memory allocations across
DLL boundaries. Yes the static version will cause another copy of the CRT,
but that is just a code size issue, not a code correctness issue. Such a
decision is best left to application developers.

So my question is what specific thing is threadmon doing that you think
requires the DLL version of the runtime?

I feel so strongly about this issue. I find when libraries take a "Library
Knows Best" attitude about this kind of stuff it really limits their
usefulness. Runtime version policy is best left up to the application,
because it has more knowledge about its domain. Only when the library can
not be made to work with other versions should this policy be enforced by
the library. I have not been convinced that the threadmon DLL requires the
DLL version of the runtime.

I'll give you an example of the kind of frustration this stuff has caused me
in the past.

1) I'm going along merrily making my application with the dynamic version of
the runtime.
2) I want to use a third party library that comes without source. They only
provide a version linked to the static runtime.
3) Now I have to change my entire app over to the static runtime because
some library designer didn't provide both versions of the library.
4) Things can get worse when you have multiple libraries all making the
"runtime version" choice for you. If you don't have source code to these
libraries, it can cause a lot of headaches, resorting to /NODEFAULTLIB
linker switches, and wondering if your app is eventually going to blow up
from all these mixed CRTs.

-steve