From: brianjparker_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-11-12 16:13:42

--- In boost_at_y..., Chris Little <cslittle_at_r...> wrote:
> Another possible variant of BOOST_ASSERT is to have a macro that
supplies a
> message that is display instead of the expression. It would look
like:

> BOOST_ASSERT_MSG( IsOpen(), "The caller should open the file." ) ;
>
> We've found it helpful to sometimes give an explanation for the
assert
> instead of just the expression.

Yes, I have found that providing an error message is particularly
useful for libraries, where, for the user, line number and file
information pointing deep into library code is not as useful.

I think that it would be useful to standardise a version of assert
that took such a message string.

In "bjp_utilitiesxxx.zip" in the files section I have included an
overloaded version of assert to do this-

assert(bool, const char* s)
(assuming C99-style variadic macros- otherwise the syntax
is "assertx")

Also, I have provided versions of assert that can be used for
preconditions and left enabled in a checked build of a library.

,Brian Parker