From: Kevin S. Van Horn (kevin.vanhorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-13 10:15:25

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Peter Dimov wrote:

> See the code at the end for my proposed implementation of BOOST_ASSERT.

I don't know if you've been following the discussions on use of assert vs.
throwing exceptions, so here's a capsule summary: for programmer errors
(violated preconditions) it would be desirable to have some
error-reporting mechanism that would either throw an exception or do an
assert(), with the choice depending on a compile-time flag. This
error-check macro would *always* do something, unlike BOOST_ASSERT, which
does nothing if BOOST_DEBUG is not defined. Might Boost.Assert be the
appropriate place to put this precondition-check facility?