From: Kevin S. Van Horn (kevin.vanhorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-13 10:22:00

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Peter Dimov wrote:

> Strictly speaking "an exception is thrown when a precondition is not met" is
> an oxymoron. Not meeting a precondition invokes undefined behavior.

No, it's not an oxymoron; it just can't be guaranteed behavior. You'll
notice from my other comments that I am generally wary of specifying that
an exception *will* be thrown when a logical (programmer) error occurs. I
tend to prefer language such as "implementations *may* throw an
exception if this error is detected, and if so, are encouraged to throw
exception X," to make it clear that we're not guaranteeing anything.