From: Karl MacMillan (karlmac_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-14 09:22:43

I think this is definitely true. The ability to use standard algorithms on
the image containers and use other image containers with the image
processing algorithms seems very important to me.

> Having worked in the Image Processing group at Delft University,
> I know from
> experience
> that having operator+ on images is liked very much; having to
> write (in C)
> AddImg( &img1, &img2, &img_dest ) was seen as a bad thing. Those people
> won't like
> having to use std::transform and std::plus.

It is certainly true that people are resistent to the standard C++ style,
but I think that the benifits are clear and anyone that tacks the time to
really approach the C++ standard library (and Boost) with an open mind will
find it powerful. An interface that focuses on iterators is going to provide
a lot more functionality and the container based interface (including
operator overloading) can be layered on top of that for those that want.

> In the list of common image types, perhaps the most common pixel type is
> missing: bool.
> However, given the annoyance caused by std::vector<bool>, this is
> a type we
> should give
> proper attention. Here I can't come up with an easy fix.

Do you mean a bit-packed bi-level image? This is definitely something to be
wary of. I work with bi-level images almost exclusively, but never use a
bit-packed format. For document analysis it is very convenient to be able to
do connected-component labeling directly in the image, which means pixel
types that can hold more than two values.

Karl

Karl MacMillan
Computer Music Department
Peabody Institute of Johns Hopkins University
karlmac_at_[hidden] | 410-659-4440
mambo.peabody.jhu.edu/~karlmac