From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-15 12:20:15

From: "Darin Adler" <darin_at_[hidden]>
> Let me try to paraphrase:
>
> Peter: Asserts default off.
> Darin: Why not default on?
> Peter: If asserts default off, we can add asserts to code that
currently
> doesn't have asserts, without changing things for existing
users.

Something like that, yes, but in addition:

Peter: Asserts default on lead to less assert use since they are no longer
'free' but need a cost/benefit analysis. See current Boost state. In
particular, Beman's general opinion is that checks should be on by default
but smart_ptr.hpp doesn't have checks.

> While I understand this argument, I am not convinced. If it was up to me,
> would still have the asserts default on, as with the C standard
<assert.h>.

It's a difficult decision in general.

--
Peter Dimov