From: Henrik Ravn (henrik_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-16 11:40:01

> It occurs to me that even in the simplest cases, the
> programmer probably needs to write the "usage" output which
> responds to --help or incorrect options. A truly easy-to-use
> interface would read and interpret the "usage" text, so that
> the programmer hardly needs to do anything else. I have no
> idea how feasible that is...
Neat idea!

Perhaps it could be done via some form of xml-driven description...

Something along the lines of:
<cmdline>
        <options>
                <option name="Verbose" match="v,verbose"
case-sensitive="yes">
                        Descriptive text for the usage text goes here
                </option>
        </options>
        <!-- etc etc -->
</cmdline>

Now, if you just want to parse a few options and a file name, including
a full xml-parser may well be considered overkill, but perhaps an
xml->.hpp translation tool could do the trick?

be well
Henrik