From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-16 22:02:40

At 02:48 PM 11/15/2001, Kevin Cline wrote:

> > Look at the smart pointer classes -- in my code, I have a header that
>simply
> > imports the boost smart pointers and STL smart pointer, and adds two
of
>my
> > own:
> > scoped_ptr
> > scoped_array
> > auto_ptr
> > auto_array [1]
> > shared_ptr
> > shared_array
> > mt_shared_ptr [1]
> >
> > There has been some talk on this list about using policy classes, and
>having
> > a single smart pointer generator. We could allow different
deallocation
> > mechanisms, different sharing capabilities, hooks for user
callbacks...
>But
> > how many users would ever use them? We'd be adding a lot of
complexity
>with
> > a small payback.
>
>I would support that. Loki::SmartPtr has more functionality than those
>seven put together, and I found it easier to understand.

There have been private conversations with Andrei recently, and I'm hoping
he will be able to submit Loki::SmartPtr to Boost soon.

The discussions view the possibility of treating the current boost smart
pointers as specific instances of Loki::SmartPtr. In effect, typedef
templates, to be simulated using inheritance.

More later,

--Beman