From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-17 13:40:00

The design I've seen which works nicely... I suppose couldn't use
boost::function<> either. Actually, this design requires the use of mix-ins,
which I can imagine some people might be unhappy with.

The idea is that every message identifier is essentially a member function
pointer to a virtual function of a mix-in class, all of which inherit
virtually from Subscriber. The broadcast mechanism dynamic_casts each
Subscriber to the class type of the member function pointer, and if
successful, calls through the function pointer to send the message. This
scheme preserves object identity in the Publisher's list of Subscribers, so
that removing a Subscriber (e.g. when it is destroyed) is trivial.

I can see now that this scheme prevents many useful programs. For example, a
Subscriber might want to tell the publisher, "call this member function with
the 1 bound to the first argument". I guess that tying message identity to a
member function pointer is rather limiting. I wonder what a design using
boost::function<> would look like? Not having any way to test whether an
arbitrary instantiation of boost::function<> can be called with a given set
of arguments makes this problem look hard to me...

-Dave