From: Carl Daniel (cpdaniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-19 10:20:40

From: "Itay Maman" <gtpaw_at_[hidden]>
> --- In boost_at_y..., "Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_m...> wrote:
> > From: "Mattias Flodin" <flodin_at_c...>

> > As Carl Daniel correctly observed these need not return the new value, only
> > something that is sign-compatible with it.
> >

> I think a better solution would be to change the implementation of
> operator++() such that it will always return the correct value, which means
> getting rid of the 'special' Win32 version of the class. Nonetheless, we
> can still add two other member functions which will supply the
> increment/decrement functionality implemented via Interlocked* calls. This
> approach has its drawback - the mutex is created although it might not be
> needed - but I think the positive outcome (having ++/-- return the updated
> value) is more substantial.

I don't think that would be an acceptable solution at all. InterlockedIncrement/Decrement is a user-mode operation,
while acquiring a mutex requires a transition in and out of kernel mode - which is guaranteed to be orders of magnitude
slower.

I agree with Greg Colvin's reply - for boost:shared_ptr, detail::atomic_counter should be lean and mean and provide the
absolute minimum functionality in the most efficient manner.

-cd