From: Mike Gradman (windryder1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-21 15:28:12

Corwin and I have done some benchmarking of two
methods that we could have used for iterator stability
with vec_multiset:

1. The one David Abrahams used for iterator stability
(indirect_container and indirect_iterator .. storing a
container of iterators to the data elements). This
means that the user has to populate a data container
such as a std::vector<T> and then create some other
container whose elements actually refer to elements in
that first data vector, such as a
std::set<vector<T>::iterator>. This method is a lean
and mean way to get iterator (or pointer) stability.
However, it comes at at possible cost of a loss of
memory contiguity (depending on the allocator) which
can slow down memory accesses and also extra address
arithmetic the machine must perform.
2. Our method references the data elements directly.
Vec_multiset<T> internally stores an underlying
std::vector<T> which actually contains the data. The
vec_multiset<T>::iterator stores several simple pieces
of information:
* a pointer to the vec_multiset that it is referring

* the index of the element in the vec_multiset's
underlying vector<T>
* an int that tells where to look in the referred to
container's change log of inserts/erasures after the
first lookup in the container so the iterator may
update its position and thus maintain iterator
stability.

This method guarantees both iterator stability and
contiguity of memory at very little expense. The key
here is that there are no address computations
necessary each time elements are compared vs. the
indirect_iterator method which must dereference an
iterator/pointer.

We believed that the direct storing of the vector data
would be much more efficient rather than the
indirect_container approach.

So we performed a benchmark test to compare the two
methods.

For this test, we used a sample of 15,000,000 ints and
used a vector<int> as our base container for the
indirect_iterator-like simulation to eliminate
contiguity as a factor.

For the direct storing method (the method we used to
implement vec_multiset), we did the following:

1. Inserted the ints into the vector using
vector<int>::push_back().
2. Called std::stable_sort() from begin() to end() on
the vector
3. Did 15,000,000 std::lower_bound() calls on the
begin() to end() range to locate a number.

We timed each step and then added the results together
to get the overall total for this method.

To simulate the indirect_container method, we had to:

1. Populate a vector<int> with the 15,000,000 elements
using vector<int>::push_back().
2. For each element vec[i] in the vector vec, we
inserted &vec[i] into a vector<int *> called pvec.
3. Call std::stable_sort(pvec.begin(), pvec.end(),
IntStarLess()) where IntStarLess::operator()(pInt1,
pInt2) is true iff *p1 < *p2.
4. Perform 15,000,000 std::lower_bound calls over the
pvec.begin() to pvec.end() range with an IntStarLess
as the predicate.

Again, we timed each step and summed the results
together for the overall time.

We performed the same operations using each method
using the same data set and calls to
std::lower_bound().

The results we got back were astonishing which
confirmed our reasoning:

---- vector<int> ----
vec.push_back(): 26
stable_sort(vec.begin(), vec.end()): 20
lower_bound(): 6
*** Total time for vector<int> impl.: 52 ***

---- vector<int *> ----
vec_ptrs.push_back(): 8
stable_sort(vec_ptrs.begin(), vec_ptrs.end()): 55
lower_bound(): 44
Subtotal time for vector<int *> ops: 107
(but we're not done as we must add in the vector<int>
push_back time of: 26)
*** Total time for vector<int *> impl.: 133 ***

As you can see, the std::stable_sort() and
std::lower_bound() calls for the direct approach
easily outperformed the corresponding calls for the
indirect_iterator simulation. Also, there is the
additional overhaead in the indirect method of having
to push_back the objects onto the data vector even
before it starts working with the pointers.

The performance test proved that the direct approach
we used for vec_multiset is much faster and more
efficient than the use of creatures like
indirect_iterator.

Caveats to these results:
1. With larger objects, the indirect_iterator method
probably would perform much faster as the sort only
swaps pointers. The direct storing method's sort call
actually has to swap the objects themselves, which can
definitely be much more expensive. In the case of our
example above this penalty does not appear since ints
are small.

2. As Dave Abrahams pointed out, if your container
holds something like String objects, then holding a
vector of pointers (e.g. String *) may not lose you
much anyway since the underlying objects are in fact
holding the data via pointers.

Mike

Mike