From: Aleksey Gurtovoy (alexy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-22 09:46:25

'boost::mem_fn' documentation states:

"boost::mem_fn is a generalization of the standard functions std::mem_fun
and std::mem_fun_ref."

While in many senses this is true, without deeper explanation of all
differences/similarities between 'boost::mem_fn' and its std counterparts,
the sentence can lead one to a conclusion that 'boost::mem_fn' can be used
as a replacement of 'std::mem_fun' and 'std::mem_fun_ref', i.e. that one can
use the former one everywhere in place of the latters, which (as we know) is
not true. I remember a discussion on the list where the subject was
thoroughly explored. If it's not too much to ask :), can we have the summary
of that discussion in the docs, please? For example, a simple comparison
table with row titles like "parameters passing", "[first_]argument_type
const-ness", "argument and result types typedefs", etc. would be more than
enough (given that the cells are filled too :).

Thanks,
Aleksey