From: Matt Austern (austern_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-26 12:14:08

Beman Dawes wrote:

> Unification of bitset, dyn_bitset, and vector<bool> seems within reach, and
> seems like an elegant solution to several issues:
>
> * A replacement for vector<bool> which does meet container requirements.

Impossible, I think, unless we change the iterator requirements to allow
proxied forward iterators. (i.e. forward iterators where *it returns
something other than T& or const T&.)

I'd be very interested in trying to figure out what we need to do to allow
proxied iterators. They don't quite work, but there are a lot of places
where they'd be useful. It might be impossible without language changes.

                        --Matt