From: David A. Greene (greened_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-26 14:48:48

Roland Weiss wrote:

> This gives as much information as a the string, I guess: The logging goes
> to the lc_debug category, the threshold is lt_medium. Another question is
> if you want to add categories at runtime.

When I think of "categories" I don't just think debug/warn/error/etc.
I think about things like program subsystems. So for a microprocessor
simulator I want to specify that only "debug" messages for the "L1cache"
should be printed. While I don't know that categories need to be added
at runtime, I think a library should be flexible enough for the
programmer to define her own categories.

> There are a lot of design decisions to consider for logging, tracing etc.
> I would be interested in talking about such a set of class templates
> (and marcos?), but currently do not have the time as I write down my
> thesis...

Heh, join the club. :)

                         -Dave

--
"Some little people have music in them, but Fats, he was all music,
  and you know how big he was."  --  James P. Johnson