From: Mat Marcus (mmarcus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-28 13:41:27

I know that a number of metaprogrammers are interested in functional
programming. Czarnecki and Eisnecker's book provides excellent
perspective, characterizing templates as a functional programming
language. Many metaprogrammers agree that it is desirable to delve
deeper into a study of functional programming idioms.

Here are some questions regarding functional programming literature:

* Is it better to spend time studying Haskell, ML, or Scheme? Which
is closer in spirit to template metaprogramming? That is, which book
will pay higher dividends for compile time C++ idioms: Haskell: The
Craft of Functional Programming, ML for the Working Programmer, or
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programming? Perhaps
Peyton-Jones's book or another would be most useful.

* What are the mappings between functional programming language
concepts and C++ compile-time programs? I understand the basics about
applicative style, control constructs, and recursion but I want to go
further. Where can I learn more about suspensions, algebraic modules,
strictness, pureness, and pattern matching. Vesa?

* What functional programming styles if any serve as an inspiration
for boost::mpl?

Thanks,
Mat