From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-12-11 17:17:21

At 04:53 PM 12/11/2001, rogeeff wrote:

>Timeout is implementing only for UNIX platforms using alarm and
>SIGALRM hadnler. It's pretty portable solution (on UNIX platforms).

I have two different implementations for Windows timeout code contributed a
while ago by two different people. The Win32 implementations are a lot
less straightforward (they start additional threads) than the UNIX
implementation, so I didn't add them during the initial stages.

The real problem is that I have no serious knowledge of the Win32 specific
API's, and was afraid to add code that I didn't entirely understand.

While I understand Bill Kempf's worry, it seems to me the solution is to
find some Win32 experienced developer to add that platform - perhaps
Glennadiy qualifies, or the folks who contributed Win32 timeout
implementations. It is a nice feature (invented by Ulli) and we should
support it if possible, IMO.

--Beman