From: Dale E. Strickler (DaleS_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-12-13 10:00:12

Hi all, I am new to the list but I do have a different perspective on this one.

I my mind (in the 'old days') when C++ was still a front end interpreter
for 16 bit C compilers. I and me embedded colleges through to size and
length as very different concepts. As history moves forward their
separation has vanished. I still tend to read 'size' as "how much space is
used in standard (byte) units." (A useless meaning in typelist.) And
'length' to mean "how many logical units each of some (non-1) size." (For
typelists size seems like it should be zero, no run time memory is used by
them.)

Not that I feel I have any concrete suggestions about interfaces that
should/should not be supported but I do feel the general clarity
of discussions has decreased as the computing field has merged these
concepts. IMHO we would have a richer usage of English if we did not
assume that length and size mean the same thing, though more and more that
is the case.

Thanks. This is a great list!

Best Regards,

Dale E. Strickler
President and Sr. Consultant
DES Software Engineering Consulting
E-mail: DaleS_at_[hidden]
  Voice: 434-846-7003 (NOTE New area code!)
    FAX: 434-846-7040 (NOTE New area code!)
    Web: www.dessec.com