From: rogeeff (rogeeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-12-13 15:19:22

--- In boost_at_y..., Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_a...> wrote:
> I would like to see Boost.Test accepted, but only after resolution
of major
> issues.
>

> * The issue of compiled versus header implementation needs to be
better
> resolved. If existing uses aren't compatible with the new
Boost.Test, we
> need to figure out and document the transition path for current
> users. This is a serious problem. If it isn't possible to provide
> light-weight version of test tools which is implemented on top of
unit
> tests, it might be necessary to have a second light-weight
implementation
> (as headers). Hopefully that won't have to happen; perhaps all
that will
> be needed is a forwarding header that in effect does what
> "example/online_test.cpp" does.

You should not have a proplem with *compilation* of existent test
programs. But you will need to change a jamfiles to link with the
appropriate compinent of test library (Test Execution Monitor in most
cases)

> * The floating point comparison issues are tricky, yet haven't
been
> reviewed fully because the refactoring came up during the actual
review.
> (I'm not arguing against refactoring, just saying that it needs
further
> review both from the general Boost standpoint and from numerics
experts.)

It really simple (trivial) algorithm |a-b|/|a| <= e ( instead of a ==
b ). The issues could come up with choosing of proper epsilon value,
which is really should be reviewed by numeric experts.

> * The public (rather than detail) header files expose functions
which
> aren't documented, presumably because their usual use is via the
macro
> wrappers. Either these should be documented or moved into a detail
> namespace. (I think someone else made the same point.)

OK. I will put them in the detail namespace.

> * The details of test outputs for each possible type of failure,
and for
> each level of logging, are quite important to users. I'm sorry no
reviewer
> (including me!) has commented on this aspect of Boost.Test:-(

Ok. I will put additional description of each log level. What type of
failures do you mean: fatal and non-fatal?

> While the issues above are serious and need to be resolved, they
shouldn't
> obscure the fact that Boost.Test is a very nice testing package
indeed.

> Thanks,
>
> --Beman

Gennadiy.