From: vonosan (alnsn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-12-17 04:34:27

--- In boost_at_y..., "Paul A. Bristow" <boost_at_h...> wrote:
> Although this is harder work (more typing) I agree that it is better
> than all the formatters that have been proposed. In my view they
all suffer
> from being write-only. Once one is familar with the << way of
doing things,
> and are willing to accept that they mean more typing, they are much
easier
> to read than the compact but cryptic format strings.

Sometimes "compact but cryptic format strings" are only the case. For
example, you are implementing international software. You decided to
use external file containing all strings used in your program. Some
of your strings have parameters (eg, filename in error message) and
your code should not depend on language differences (word order, some
formatting preferences). I designed formatter class for such cases.
---------
Alexander