From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-12-17 11:07:26

From: "Mark Rodgers" <mark.rodgers_at_[hidden]>
> From: "Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]>
> >
> > I'd address this kind of nonconformance by providing a macro
BOOST_MPL_NIL
> > that expands to the right thing.
> >
> > There's no need to enshrine compiler/platform-specific bugs in
> > specifications.
>
> There's no need to uglify things with macros by choosing a name that we
> know in advance is going to be problematic. null_type is now established
> in the tuples libraries - why not just reuse it?

Only the users of nonconforming compilers/platforms will need to use the
macro. Nothing is uglified.

Deciding between "works now" and "is the right thing" is difficult, but we
need to take into account that names we choose may well last for five-ten
years or more, long after the specific nonconformances are addressed by the
vendors.

--
Peter Dimov
Multi Media Ltd.