From: Joel Young (jdy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-12-17 22:06:06

Dave chastises me for a useless post ;-):

Sorry my bad,

Using gnu libtool with -export-symbols SYMFILE option:

`-export-symbols SYMFILE'
     Tells the linker to export only the symbols listed in SYMFILE.
     The symbol file should end in `.sym' and must contain the name of
     one symbol per line.

`-export-symbols-regex REGEX'
     Same as `-export-symbols', except that only symbols matching the
     regular expression REGEX are exported. By default all symbols are
     exported.

With this, at least on some systems, you can control what symbols are
available to something being dlopened.

Caveat:
I haven't developed my own code with this, but I ran into a problem with
rep (lisp used by sawfish) in which some of the plugins had been built
with too restrictive a set of symbols exported and ended up adding the
symbols to the SYMFILE...

Joel