From: Ross Smith (r-smith_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-12-20 03:16:28

Rainer Deyke wrote:

> From: "Ross Smith" <r-smith_at_[hidden]>
>
> > I'm convinced that iostreams should be reserved strictly for human
> > readable text I/O, and not used for computer-to-computer communication,
> > such as sockets.
>
> Right now I'm using my own binary serialization layer on top of iostreams.
> This allows me to read and write binary files. Why should I need to change
> my code if I want to read from / write to sockets instead?

Because that's a ridiculously inefficient way of doing binary I/O, and
some of us don't want to be forced to pay the penalty merely because
other people consider it acceptable.

Iostreams are a disaster area; they violate the "you don't pay for what
you don't use" rule right left and centre. Let's not throw good code
after bad, please.

--
Ross Smith ...................................... Auckland, New Zealand
r-smith_at_[hidden] ......................... http://storm.net.nz/~ross/