From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-12-24 08:43:14

At 11:07 PM 12/21/2001, Darin Adler wrote:

>This library seems an unlikely candidate for C++ Standard
standardization,
>at least in part because it can't be built out of the standard C I/O
stuff,
>and instead requires something platform specific (POSIX, for example).

The committee used to consider the need for a platform specific
implementation to be a strong argument against a proposal. That seems to
have changed. In the Redmond discussion of the threads library, for
example, that issue did not seem to bother anyone.

The apparent usefulness of a proposal is the criteria LWG members seem to
be focusing on. If the proposal appears quite useful to a lot of
programmers, and can be implemented on Unix, Windows, and the Mac, the fact
that the implementations wouldn't be portable doesn't seem like a
showstopper. That probably would be a showstopper if the library was
viewed as only marginally useful.

--Beman