From: rgarcia1771 (garcia_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-12-26 11:42:49

--- In boost_at_y..., Toon Knapen <toon.knapen_at_s...> wrote:
> > >2 questions:
> > >
> > >1) performance
> > >Have you measered performance compared to plain C-arrays ?
> > >I just wrote a small test in 2 minutes and have some strange
results.
> > >The C-array indexing takes 0.9 seconds where-as the multi-array
takes
> > >2.92 seconds. (see below for small test program). Can this be
due to
> > >the []-indexing.
>
> Sorry, vital info was missing : I used gcc-3.0.2 with option -O4.
> (gcc-2.95.3 won't compile multi_array).

Hello,

What problems were you having with gcc-2.95.3? I am curious because
I developed the library using that as my primary compiler (as well as
KAI C++).

As for performance testing, I havent done much more than what you did
above. As Beman had mentioned, the "abstraction penalty" of the
compiler seems to be a significant issue where performance is
concerned. I have had some great preliminary success with KCC, but
more investigation of this is necessary.

ron