From: Karl Nelson (kenelson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-05 23:00:26

It seems one of the problems encountered with making a decent
formatting stream operator is that the io-manipulators which
from standard C++ are not easily separatable from the "real"
output. Thus things like formatter(blah) << glue(width(5)) << bob;
This seems silly to me as it is very easy to define a
base class so that all these not really output can
be isolated for stream proxies.

I have rewritten the iomanip file to use a simple mixin
structure. Its is more compact than the current g++ v3
implementation and offers the advantage to formating stream
like objects that things can be isolated.

If there is sufficent interest I can push this to the vault
and call for a review.

File at
  http://www.ece.ucdavis.edu/~kenelson/iomanip.hh

--Karl