From: Carl Daniel (cpdaniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-08 18:00:36

From: "corwinjoy" <cjoy_at_[hidden]>

> The goal of the vec_multiset was to develop a vector based
> implementation of a multimap that could be used as a substitute for
> situations where multimap was employed but which would run faster and
> use less memory.
>
> Here is a link to the docs on this submission:

I find it disturbing that the memory occupied by vec_multiset can grow without bound, even if the size() of the
container remains bounded. One can certainly imagine a server application where lookup vastly outweighs inserts/erases,
but the number of inserts/erases is nonetheless unbounded. It'd be a pitty if vec_multiset (or similar) was unusable in
such an application for this reason alone.

Perhaps vec_multiset should track the age of outstanding iterators and discard history which is no longer needed.
That'd add a non-trivial bit of complication, to be sure.

-cd