From: Rainer Deyke (root_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-08 19:38:02

----- Original Message -----
From: "corwinjoy" <cjoy_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2002 2:37 PM
Subject: [boost] Re: Proposal: Sorted Vector Container

> 1. Simple sorted vector by value.
> - Not sorted if inserts are made after the initial sort.

Disagree. 'insert' should automatically place inserted values at the
location given by 'std::lower_bound'.

> 2. Sorted vector by value with smart iterators.
> - Maintains iterator invariants after deletes.

Smart iterators are a high price to pay for a guarantee so seldom needed.
On the other hand, these smart iterators may be useful outside the context
of one specific container. For example, it might be useful to have a plain
unsorted vector that does not invalidate iterators after insert/delete.
Maybe there is a way to provide these smart iterators through a container
adaptor?

> 3. Sorted vector of pointers to values.

Given that the most common object in a container is already a (smart)
pointer, I see nothing this extra level of indirection buys anyone.

--
Rainer Deyke (root_at_[hidden])
Shareware computer games           -           http://rainerdeyke.com