From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-13 15:58:06

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lee Brown" <lee_at_[hidden]>

> Maybe Im an idealist but I think C++ should be able to do everything C
> can do but usually better and with more typesafety and more stability.
This
> includes immediate thread cancelation. Lets face it, multithreading
> capabilities are
> a fundamental element of programming especially for general purpose
languages
> like C++. Multithreading is supposed to be a primary selling point because
> C++ is frequently used for servers which dispatch many tasks
simultaneously.

> IMO, "we can't do that" is not an acceptable answer.

It's possible to do that in C++. If you are happy with the results you get
from 'C' (no resource cleanup, etc.), you could simply kill the thread
unceremoniously using the same facilities that 'C' programs do. There's
nothing about C++ which makes this infeasible. It's not that "we can't do
that", it's that we want to do better. Remember, 'C' programs /also/ have
resources allocated which they plan to deallocate upon returning from
functions.

> > Throwing an exception will do the clean up.
>
> Ideally, IMO, thread cancelation is not an exception. It is expected
behavior
> that may be accounted for at compile time.

How would you like the compiler to account for it?

-Dave