From: Greg Colvin (gcolvin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-14 11:50:55

From: "Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]>
> From: "Greg Colvin" <gcolvin_at_[hidden]>
> > > This would not be a major issue for a rarely used function, but I have
> > > found that I tend to make extensive use of 'boost::shared_ptr::get'.
> > > I would not like to replace every instance of 'p.get()' with
> > > 'boost::GetImplPtr(p)' or something equally long.
> >
> > If you hate typing as much as I do you can just say '&*p',
> > which works for raw pointers as well.
>
> &*p dereferences the pointer, while p.get() does not.

In principle, yes, but I've never seen a compiler
actually do so. More to the point, since people
insisted we remove the conversion to T* operator,
I get impatient with compaints about the six
characters that replace it. In a world of plauge,
pestilence, famine, and war it just isn't that
important.