From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-14 15:53:29

At 02:36 PM 1/14/2002, rogeeff wrote:

>> While StoragePolicy and OwnershipPolicy are mostly independent and
>> orthogonal, it isn't quite 100%.
>>
>> --Beman
>
>That's obvious, since they manage the same event. Most of the
>policies that compose a compound component will "comunicate" though
>that component. Let's say that policies are communicating iff policy
>A implementation uses members of Policy B or vice versa, cause namely
>presence/absence of such 'direct' communication is one of the most
>important issues discussed.
>
>Do you agree with me that if we manage to define Ownership and Strage
>policies in above terms we should be able to eliminate direct
>communication?

Yes, and as I said in a previous message, that may be worthwhile since we
haven't got a lot of real world cases where there is a need for
inter-policy communication between these two.

But it comes at a cost; the design of the framework is slightly more
complicated, and user written policies which have some special need to
communicate with each other can't do so.

--Beman