From: bill_kempf (williamkempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-16 13:16:33

--- In boost_at_y..., "terekhov" <terekhov_at_d...> wrote:
> --- In boost_at_y..., "David Abrahams" <david.abrahams_at_r...> wrote:
> > Do you feel that someone is failing to account for the
considerable
> > experience of the pthreads committee? That would certainly be a
> mistake, but
> > I didn't notice it happening.
>
> For example:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=3C33232D.EE55A880%40web.de
>
> My problem is that under PTHREADS, a thread
> reference/id value object (pthread_t) provided
> by pthread_self() IS SHARABLE and I use this.
> Boost.Threads, AFAIK, does not provide such
> functionality, unfortunately.

The link talks about a totally different subject from whether or not
this is shareable. A boost::thread object created with the default
constructor (equivalent to a pthread_self()) is shareable in any
event. It's just not joinable. Do you actually call pthread_join()
on references returned from pthread_self()? Why?

I still may reconsider this decision. In any event, this is not
evidence that I, or anyone else, have not been trying to pay
attention to any lessons learned by POSIX.

Bill Kempf