From: terekhov (terekhov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-18 08:54:45

--- In boost_at_y..., "David Abrahams" <david.abrahams_at_r...> wrote:

> [...]

Perhaps Tom Becker or you could clarify this issue a bit more...
(for slowly thinking people, such as me and a couple of my
colleagues here)

> And, as I've pointed out, when
> well-used, the type of an exception doesn't tell you much about
what's
> needed for recovery - only how to report the error

well, the program could also, for example, change its
further logic/processing, if something does not seem to
work but there is one or two "workarounds".

> - and there are some
> processes for which continuing to run is much more important than an
> accurate error report.

Perhaps we disagree on one rather simple thing - you seem
to say that exceptions should just carry some error messages
or so only. I think, however, that they have MEANING too;
bad_cast, for example, has REALLY BAD MEANING. Do
you really want such program run your bank account? Do
you know any program which should run just eating not
handled bad_casts from time to time?

regards,
alexander.