From: David A. Greene (greened_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-18 16:36:47

rogeeff wrote:

>>What if I have a nested option hierarchy?
>
> Generic framework could provide support for nested arguments. Note
> that it has nothing to do with parsing.

Speaking as someone with non-trivial experience in this particular
domain, I can state pretty strongly that this is false. Parsing
such things by hand is...well...it brings to mind language I'd
rather not use here. :)

You've got to get at the option information _somehow_.

>>Am I to handle all that complexity myself, as an end-user, or are

>>you going to let me specify how options interact?
>
> Generic framework could provide support for dependent arguments. Note
> that it has nothing to do with parsing.

I mostly agree with this, though Spirit has enough power and
flexibility to allow the _parser_ to detect invalid input
without having to process everything and then check afterward.
I'm not saying that's the best solution, but it's a possibility.

                               -Dave

--
"Some little people have music in them, but Fats, he was all music,
  and you know how big he was."  --  James P. Johnson