From: bill_kempf (williamkempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-18 17:17:52

Beman asked that I post information on some informal plans that I've
made for the direction of Boost.Threads.

There are several things I want to add to the public interface,
including the following (not in order I plan to tackle them):

* read/write locks
* barriers
* thread pools (possibly, though this may be something that
Boost.Threads shouldn't address, at least in the near future)
* thread attributes (such as priority)

Once I have these interfaces added to the library the next step is to
form a new Yahoo Group dedicated to Boost.Threads (this will be
needed in order to keep the volume of posts I expect to get from
bogging down the general Boost list). This group will be used to
solidify everything for a more formal submission to the C++
Committee. I plan to both send an open invitation to likely groups
(such as this one, comp.programming.threads and any other group I can
identify) as well as send personal invitations to many industry
experts. The agenda for this list will be to first discuss the
interfaces, then to very closely scrutinize the implementations and
finally to discuss any issues needed to be addressed in a standard.
Obviously these three will overlap to some degree but I hope to limit
the overlap as much as possible.

If anyone has comments on these plans feel free to respond on this
list, or probably preferrable to everyone here, directly to me.
Further, if you know of groups or individuals that should receive
invitations please let me know.

Bill Kempf