From: David A. Greene (greened_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-19 23:45:47

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> I guess the only manly thing to do before being mortified is to express
> public apologies for the gaff I made. If it's of any relief, my
> all-too-judgemental statement was exaggerated and dramatized beyond what I
> actually believe - which is simply that sometimes discussions tend to get
> too personal at the expense of technical accuracy and usefulness. But of
> course right now it's not the moment, and I'm not in the position, to debate
> such issues.

It happens to all of us. Discussions get heated because people care
about the issues. Meanings are lots due to the restricted nature of
the medium. People get frustrated.

> Again, please accept my apologies if at all possible. Obviously, I do
> believe in the values promoted here, after all that's the reason for which I
> participate myself.

And I, for one, am glad you do.

> I guess my gaff furnished reason enough for me being taken off the mailing
> list. I'd be glad if that didn't happen and if I could benefit of
> everybody's understanding in the matter. Embarrassment is punishment enough,
> sigh. Clemency please.

Goodness, if venting were cause for mailing list expulsion we'd all
have been kicked off by now. :) Speaking as a relative newbie to
Boost, C++ and generic programming/library design in general, I'll
say that I've learned an awful lot from the people here and would
hate to lose an instructor. I think if you're removed from the
list then the Boost process has failed.

I hope you get to stick around. :)

                                      -Dave

--
"Some little people have music in them, but Fats, he was all music,
  and you know how big he was."  --  James P. Johnson