From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-21 10:31:13

Kevlin Henney wrote:
> >a very long ago we've discussed on the boost mailing list a possiblity of
> >improving lexical_cast by inventing an 'interpret' function which could be
> >specialized for user-defined classes, and, in particular, for strings.
> > Since that, some other persons expressed interest. I understand that you
> > might be very busy, but that change is so small. All is needed is to
> > review previous discussion and make a small change. Is there any chance
> > we can do it?
>
> Sorry for the delay in replying. If you can send me the proposed code so
> far, I will have a look at it and we can go from there. I haven't been
> looking at the Boost list for a while, so if you could make sure
> feedback reaches me directly that would be much appreciated.

The discussion we've had ended with an idea of

        template<class Target>
        void interpret(stringstream&, Target&);

However, I've just discovered a e-mail from Gennadiy Rozental that proposes
somewhat more flexible solution. I think that his proposal and the code for
it can well be used as a basis for further discussion.

The message is:

And the code is at: