From: Emily Winch (emily_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-21 18:01:43

Jeremy Siek wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Emily Winch wrote:
[ snip ]
>emily> That begs the question, do the functors need to know the names? Can
anyone
>emily> think of a use for an associative_list that would require that? The
paper
>emily> mentions some, but none of them to my mind are sufficient to justify
the
>emily> capability without more concrete evidence that they'd be useful to
someone
>emily> in real life.
>
>I think the functors would indeed need to know the names. BTW, I would use
>the term "key" instead of "name", since that is the terminology typically
>used with an association list. So I would pass the functor some kind of
>key-value pair, where the key is just a unique type, and the value is the
>associated value object.

Oh excellent. I've been playing with this, and it all falls into place
nicely. Thanks.

While I agree that "varlist" was a nasty name, I'm not sold on
associative_list. It has an lot of syllables (but not as many as
const_associative_list_iterator...), and makes it difficult to keep line
length
down. I think multimap (thanks Dave) is almost right, except this thing
doesn't have the logarithmic-time lookup of multimap. I suppose I could go
with
assoc_list, but that's unpronounceable. Any other ideas?

Emily