From: Steve M. Robbins (steven.robbins_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-22 02:45:32

Hello,

I was a little surprised to read that moving CVS tags around
is part of the release procedure. That strikes me as rather
error-prone. It would be too easy to forget to move a tag,
or move it to the wrong version. Then, once you've made this
mistake, how do you revert it?

[Some folks in our lab got burned by similar tag-moving
procedures.]

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 03:12:44PM -0500, Beman Dawes wrote:

> Release Procedure Overview
>
> * Discussion on the main Boost mailing list to determine the target date for
> initial release tagging of the CVS main trunk.
>
> * Release manager performs initial release tagging. Subsequent CVS working
> copy updates for the tag retrieve the release candidate.
>
> * Regression tests run on release candidate.
>
> * Developers commit and retag fixed files.
>
> * Repeat previous two steps until release manager is satisfied.
>
> * Release manager rolls out the actual release.

If you don't mind me saying, a more traditional release procedure
runs like:

1. freeze the main trunk and tag head as a "release candidate 1"
  - no features added until unfrozen
  - developers can create a branch if they want to add features

2. regression testing

3. if not satisfied:
   - fix bugs
   - tag head as release candidate N+1
   - go to 2

4. tag the head and unfreeze trunk

CVS tags are not a limited resource! Just keep adding
release candidate tags as necessary, but never move or remove them.

As a bonus, this scheme allows you to answer the question, "what
changed between RC4 and RC6?" using CVS.

-Steve

--
by Rocket to the Moon,
by Airplane to the Rocket,