From: jan_langer (jan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-24 13:28:49

--- In boost_at_y..., "Jani Kajala" <jani_at_s...> wrote:
> > - There are more attributes available, via stat(), under Unix
than you have
> > accessors for. What if I want to know whether the sticky bit is
set?

> struct stat buf;
> stat( p.norm_path().c_str(), &buf );
>
> > - There is no information available on file permissions.
>
> Neither has C or C++. :)

hi, i think it would be better to separate the filesystem stuff in
several, independant classes, since there is already a quite complete
system for files or directories attribute access for posix in the
yahoogroups files section.
you should keep the attribute things out of the pathname and adopt
the existing attribute things to win32 (which i failed to do ;-).

why not create these four things
- a pathname class
- a directory entry
- a directory iterator
- and a set of attributes
and make them interact in the quite obvious way. nearly all of these
components are already written in your project or in the filesystem
files in the vault (subdirectory filesystem).

a namespace boost::filesystem would be, in my opinion, also good.

quite a few suggestions to prevent a new resultless try to get these
things done.
regards

--
jan langer