From: Stewart, Robert (stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-24 16:02:32

From: Carl Daniel [SMTP:cpdaniel_at_[hidden]]

> From: "Stewart, Robert" <stewart_at_[hidden]>
> > > - In DOS/Windows, pathnames are case insensitive, but they are stored
in
> > > upper case, so "norm_case" returns the wrong case. Other case
insensitive
> > > platforms may conventionally use lower case, so this should be
configurable.

> Not true. Windows filesystems since Windows 95 are case-insensitive,
case-preserving. Only Windows 3.1 era and earlier
> versions of DOS store directory/file name as uppercase.

I don't think that's quite right either. Those OSes maintain two versions
of the filename if it was supplied using anything other than all upper case
or doesn't fit the 8.3 format. Command line tools in some of those versions
of Windows may even coerce the filename to all upper case if it fits the 8.3
format; I haven't tested that.

The view given by Windows Explorer is different; it always shows directory
names with a leading capital and the rest lower case, unless the filename
was expressly set with a specific case that forces a "long" filename version
to be stored (such "long" names needn't be longer than 8.3). IOW, Windows
Explorer shows 8.3 directory names with a leading cap and shows those with a
long name entry using that long name.

Anyway, the particulars aren't all that important. The point I was making
is that all upper case is the norm for some OSes. Maybe those OSes are so
old that we don't care anymore. Maybe there are some current ones to which
this still applies. If there aren't any, then pathname manipulation can
just choose the case and call it good. If there are, then I think the case
should be configurable.

Rob
Susquehanna International Group, LLP
http://www.sig.com