From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-24 17:54:30

At 09:32 AM 1/23/2002, David Abrahams wrote:

> [...]
modified/added.
>Save this list somewhere that you'll be able to get it back later. Let's
>call that <mod-list>
>
>cd back to your regular working tree.
>
>When you're ready to bring in all the bugfixes in from the release
>candidate, first make sure all of your current changes are checked in.
Then
>go to the place in your working CVS tree where you did the commit in the
>release candidate tree and:
>
> cvs update -j<version>_branch <mod-list>
>
>All of your fixes will be merged into your current working copy. When you
>commit, they will go into whatever branch you're on, or the main trunk.

That procedure does seem to work once. But if you have to make a second
change to the same file, the 2nd merge results in conflicts. It tries to
merge the original change back into the main trunk copy a second time.

I tried several variations on the theme. The problem always come the
second time I tried do a merge. Does a new branch have to be created after
each merge? That can't be right - multiple developers would never be able
coordinate if each was creating new branches every time they apply a fix.

We must be missing something obvious. Any ideas?

--Beman

--Beman