From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-28 14:52:57

----- Original Message -----
From: "Beman Dawes" <bdawes_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>; <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 2:37 PM
Subject: RE: [boost] Release procedures?

> At 10:24 AM 1/25/2002, Jim.Hyslop wrote:
>
> [ ... numerous suggestions ... ]
>
> OK, I tested your procedure (or rather a WinCVS analog), and it worked
> fine.
>
> CVS has now been updated with the release procedure page. See

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/boost/boost/more/r
elease_procedures.htm?rev=1.2&content-type=text/plain

> Comments or refinements appreciated!
>
> The plan is to start working on the next release using this
> procedure. I'll post a separate message with details.
>
> Thanks to Steve Robins, Dave Abrahams, and Jim Hyslop for their help!

The command-line instructions are essentially the same as the detailed ones
I posted in response to your request, except that:

1. Mine didn't deal with the multiple merge issue (easy modification)
2. These gloss over the "make sure it builds step", which in general isn't
possible without either checking in /everything/ you've got and tagging it
so you can get it back, then checking out everything on the release
candidate branch, or using a separate copy of the CVS tree like I suggested.
3. These are a lot less explicit.

It seems to me that it might be better to integrate the multiple merge
instructions into what I already wrote.

-Dave