From: Alisdair Meredith (alisdair.meredith_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-30 06:04:43

Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 21:07:25 -0700
   From: Lee Brown <lee_at_[hidden]>
Subject: Re: Why are we looking for a boost/Loki smart-pointer merginf?

> I would agree. But policies are cool. You really are taking the romance
out
> of this ;-)

I guess I'm just an aging curmudgeon :* ) Once upon a time MI and operator overloading were cool as well. They still are, but we have a much better handle on their appropriate use. I suspect policy programming is at a similar stage. A few people really understand it and understand how to make it work well [which starts with being able to compose orthogonal policies, I suspect the key skill to learn, or at least recognise] The rest of us, present company included, are still milling around thinking "isn't this neat" but not entirely making practical progress.

> From what I have seen, I think the methods of and usefulness of template
> policy programming are still being investigated by some of the smart
people
> on this list.

As Andrei says, it would be dissappointing if MC++D was still 'cutting edge' in 5 years time, but right now it still is. So was the STL container library when accepted into the standard, so we know the transition can be made.

And in case you are worried there is no romance left in my soul, I am equally convinced that the eventual replacement/evolution of shared_ptr should be policy-based. [and I know of at least one well-documented example ;* )]

AlisdairM

For further information on Renault F1 visit our web site at www.renaultf1.com. This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please destroy and notify Renault F1 on +44 1608678000."